CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, December 29, 2011

Review: Imaginary Girls by Nova Ren Suma



Published by: Dutton Books, a member of Penguin Group (USA)
Number of pages: 346
How I got this book: Library
My Rating: 3.5/5

Blurb from inside the book:

"Chloe's older sister, Ruby, is the girl everyone looks to and longs for, who can't be captured or caged. After a night with Ruby's friends goes horribly wrong and Chloe discovers a dead body floating in the reservoir, Chloe is sent away - away from home, away from Ruby.

But Ruby will do anything to get her sister back, and when Chloe returns home at last, she finds a precarious and deadly balance waiting for her. As Chloe flirts with the truth that Ruby has hidden deeply away, the fragile line between life and death is redrawn by the complex bonds of sisterhoood."

This book was so different from what I expected. It was...bizarre. I still don't even quite know what to think about it. Let me start with the characters...

First, there's Ruby, the older sister. She is about 21 in the story, and has pretty much raised Chloe, as their mother was a drunk. At first she is made to appear to be this beautiful, charismatic, free spirit whom EVERYONE adores. Everybody in town knows Ruby, and will do anything for her. However, as the book goes on, I really began to dislike her. She was very narcissistic, and truly used everbody she could to benefit herself. By the end of the book, we kind of see the "powers" Ruby has (I don't quite know how to describe this.) However, I was still confused at the end of the book as to exactly what Ruby was and how she got that way. I don't feel like this was every really explained.

Then there's Chloe. She's more or less the main character, as most is told from her viewpoint. I never really felt a connection with her. She was just kind of blah. She is definitely under Ruby's spell, so I feel like she never had a chance to develop her own personality.

For most of the book, I had no idea what was going to happen - for about 200 pages, it seems like Suma is only giving us an idea of who Ruby and Chloe were. When the action finally started to pick up, I felt confused most of the time. This isn't necessarily a bad thing...it kept me wanting to know what the heck was going on! The last 50 or so pages, I was glued to it. Just as I thought I knew what was going to happen, a new twist appeared.

Overall, it was a pretty good story. Slow at first, but it definitely picks up. However, I feel unsettled about the ending. There were unresolved questions, and that bothers me. If you like ghost story/mysteries, you will probably like this book.

0 comments:

Post a Comment