CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, December 26, 2011

Looking Back...Top 10 Reads of 2011


Happy day after Christmas, everyone! This week is dedicated to looking back - and looking forward. The idea for this week was created by Jaime and Patricia from Two Chicks on Books and Rachel from Fiktshun. Each day this week will focus on a different Top 10 topic. Here is the schedule if you are interested in participating:
Monday 12/26 – Top 10 Books I’ve read in 2011
Tuesday 12/27 –Top 10 Book Covers of 2011
Wednesday 12/28 – Top 10 Book Boyfriends in 2011
Thursday 12/29 – Top 10 Characters in 2011 (This can be anything you’d like to make it for characters. You can post your favorite Villains, etc. Just be sure that this post is character based.)Friday 12/30 – Top 10 Books I’m looking forward to in 2012 (Also on this day, we’ll each be adding some kind of a recap of the total number of books read, pages read, etc. This part of the post is optional. Feel free to add any stats you’d like to share with everyone. So, if you’d like to also include some end of year stats, feel free to join us!)
Be sure to go visit http://www.fiktshun.com/fiktshun/2011/11/17/top-10-of-2011/ to link up your blog and let them know you are participating!!
So, on to the topic at hand - my top 10 books that I have read in 2011. This will be difficult!
1. The Help by Kathryn Stockett - do I really need to explain this one?? I would also include this on the list of best movies seen. It was one of those life-altering reads. It made me cry; it made me angry; it made me sad; it made me happy. To me, a sign of a fabulous book is one that really makes you experience strong emotions, and this one did.
2. The Forest of Hands and Teeth trilogy by Carrie Ryan - I never would have thought I would read zombie books, much less like them. Much less LOVE them and recommend them to everyone I know. But this series was so awesome. I've got my daughter reading them now.
3. Matched by Ally Condie - I just really loved this book. I loved, loved, loved that it was a "clean" book - no language, no sexuality, nothing...yet, was completely absorbing, exciting, and just...great. To me, this book proved that we don't need vulgarity to make a great book. I have Crossed, but haven't read it yet.
4. Shiver trilogy (Wolves of Mercy Falls) by Maggie Stiefvater - I just thought these were FUN - very light, sweet, and fun to read.
5. The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak - This book was so beautifully written. I just loved it.
6. Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver - a really fabulous book that opens your eyes to the effects of bullying.
7. Wither and Fevery by Lauren DeStefano - I love how originial the concept for these books are, and they just kept me on the edge of my seat.
8. Before I Go to Sleep by S.J. Watson - totally riveting, nail -biting, eyes wide open psychological thriller.
9. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs - LOVED how the old photos were used in the book - made for such an unusual (in a good way) book. And the story was awesome too.
10. the Crank trilogy by Ellen Hopkins - I can say that Hopkins is the ONLY author I have read EVERY. SINGLE. ONE. of her books this year. All in one year - and never got tired of her writing. I have to say the Crank series was my favorite though. Just really eye opening how meth can ruin so many lives, not just that of the user. Living in one of the "meth capitals" of the U.S. (unfortunately), I see people struggling with this horrible drug on an almost daily basis. These were not light, fun, easy reads, but definitely draws you in emotionally.
It was so hard to narrow my reads down! I'd like to mention a few "runners up" - Divergent by Veronica Roth, Delirium by Lauren Oliver, and Forgotten by Cat Patrick.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great picks! I love the Wolves of Mercy Falls Trilogy, Before I Fall, and Matched. I want to read The Forest of Hands and Teeth. I loved The Help movie but haven't read the book.
My Top 10 of 2011

Jessica said...

Matched and Shiver were on my Top 10, too!

Jessica @ Books: A true story

Post a Comment