CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, December 12, 2011

Dusty Read #2 - I Don't Want to be Crazy by Samantha Schutz

Dusty Reads is a meme hosted by Xpresso Reads in which we feature a book that has been sitting unread on our bookshelves for more than a couple months.
I got I Don't Want to be Crazy by Samantha Schutz through paperbackswap.com and have had it for quite awhile. Being a psych student, I am always interested in reading books about psychological disorders. This one not only fits that description, but is also a memoir AND written in free verse - or "Ellen Hopkins style" as I like to call it. Here is the blurb on the back of the book:
"This is a true story of growing up, breaking down, and coming to grips with a psychological disorder. When Samantha Schutz first left home for college, she was excited by the possibilities - freedom from parents, freedom from a boyfriend who was reckless with her affections, freedom from the person she was supposed to be. At first, she reveled in the independence - but as pressures increased, she began to suffer anxiety attacks that would leave her mentally shaken and physically incapacitated. Thus began a hard road of discovery and coping, powerfully rendered in this poetry memoir."
I was immediately drawn to this book because I also have anxiety disorder - however, not to the same extent as the author. I did see a lot of myself reflected in the pages, and it reminded me that I'm not alone in this condition. Samantha is a brave woman to not only write so honestly about herself, but to attempt it in poetry form - this is not an easy thing to do. But she did it wonderfully. I hope she keeps up her writing...she is quite talented! I hope to see more from her in the future!

0 comments:

Post a Comment