CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

The Poison Diaries by Maryrose Wood


From the inside of the book:
"Even the most innocent looking plants can kill, and no one knows that better than Jessamine Luxton. Jessamine has lived all her sixteen years in an isolated cottage near Alnwick Castle with her father, Thomas, a feared and respected apothecary, who has taught her much about the incredible powers of plants. Still, Thomas forbids her from entering the locked garden that is his pride and obsession - a poison garden, which contains exotic and local specimens of the most dangerous plants in the world.

But Jessamine's life changes forever the day a traveler brings an orphan to their cottage, claiming that the young man has special gifts that Thomas might value. Jessamine is intrigued by the stranger, who goes by the name of Weed. His sensitivity to growing things is extraordinary and he seems to have even more rare and specialized knowledge about plants than Thomas does. As Jessamine begins to fall in love with Weed, she learns his extraordinary secret - and is drawn into the dangerous world of the poison garden in a way she never could have imagined..."

I received the sequel to this book for review from Harper Collins, so I checked this book out of the library, as I had not read it yet. The concept behind the book - the poisonous plants - really caught my attention. I haven't seen too many books about that. I'll admit, the book kind of started out slow...and when Weed is first introduced - I was disappointed. I mean, he's supposed to be THE love interest in the book, but when we first "meet" him, he is made out to be, well...feral, I guess. He barely speaks at all, and seems kind of dumb. But, he was raised by a terrible man who ran an insane asylum, so I guess that explains it. Anyway, once he and Jessamine get to know each other, he "blossoms" (hee hee, no pun intended) and I began to fall a little bit in love with him too.

I really liked Jessamine's character too. She definitely has a mind of her own, and is very intelligent. I could not stand her father Thomas, from the beginning though. I just had a bad feeling about him from the beginning...I'll leave it at that.

The book really picks up about halfway through, and I ended up really liking it. Romance, nail-biting suspense, interesting characters...what more could you want? And I liked how the book ended. It definitely leaves you wanting to read the next book to see what happens, but didn't end with a big frustrating cliffhanger (I hate that!). I was satisfied, but still wanting more. That is a good ending in my book!

Go check out the website for these books...it is really cool: http://www.poisondiaries.com/

0 comments:

Post a Comment