CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, March 26, 2012

Review: Love & Leftovers by Sarah Tregay


Published by: Katherine Tegen Books
Release Date: December 27th, 2011
Number of Pages: 451
How I got this book: Library
My rating: 4.5/5

Amazon Summary:

"My Wish
is to fall
cranium over Converse
in dizzy daydream-worthy love.
(If only it were that easy.)

Marcie has been dragged away from home for the summer--from Idaho to a family summerhouse in New Hampshire. She's left behind her friends, a group of freaks and geeks called the Leftovers, including her emo-rocker boyfriend, and her father.
By the time Labor Day rolls around, Marcie suspects this "summer vacation" has become permanent. She has to start at a new school, and there she leaves behind her Leftover status when a cute boy brings her breakfast and a new romance heats up. But understanding love, especially when you've watched your parents' affections end, is elusive. What does it feel like, really? Can you even know it until you've lost it?
Love & Leftovers is a beautifully written story of one girl's journey navigating family, friends, and love, and a compelling and sexy read that teens will gobble up."

Review:

For some reason, I've really been on a novel-written-in-verse kick lately. I love being able to blow through a fairly thick book really quickly, number one. But, though the pages may have fewer words - they often pack a greater punch when written in verse style (i.e. Ellen Hopkins one of my all time faves). I can't quite put this novel up on THAT high of a level...but I really, really enjoyed it. It wasn't quite as "heavy" as the verse novels I'm used to reading, which was a welcome break. It dealt with the more "traditional" issues teenagers face - being torn between guys, whether or not you're in love, divorced parents, etc. There is a bit of humor/controversy (depending on how you look at it) thrown in - as her dad has recently come out of the closet and left her mother for a much younger man. Her mother is severely depressed and has moved Marcie 2000 miles away from her friends (and boyfriend) to her grandmother's lakehouse. Marcie is bored out of her mind...until J.D. - the cute, popular jock starts paying her lots of attention!

Marcie realizes how lonely she is and how much she needs affection, especially now. But, should she tell her boyfriend who lives 2000 miles away and risk breaking his heart? Would he even find out? Who does she really love anyway?

This was a nice, light, fun read. I loved Marcie - even if I didn't like or approve of all of her choices. I loved Marcie's boyfriend, Linus - especially at the end - it's obvious how much he cared about Marcie. I loved the idea of the "Leftovers" (the high school kids who didn't really belong to any other groups). I actually think that could apply to the "group" I belonged to in high school....so I could relate to them.

I definitely recommend this to people looking for a fun, romantic read!

0 comments:

Post a Comment