CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Booking Through Thursday - Reading Habits interview


Booking Through Thursday is a weekly meme hosted by Books, Biscuits & Tea. This week's questions will help us book bloggers get to know each other and our reading habits a little bit better.

1. What's your favorite time of day to read?
My favorite time is in the evening after my kids go to bed - less distractions, and a great way to unwind from the day!
2. Do you read during breakfast? (assuming you eat breakfast)
Yes, sometimes. But sometimes I check facebook, e-mails, blogs, etc while I eat as well.
3. What's your favorite breakfast food?
To be honest, I'm not a big fan of breakfast. I usually eat cereal or sometimes a cheese stick, lol. I never cook anything for breakfast. But, if we're just talking about typical breakfast foods, I do love a good omelette. Especially with cheese, spinach, mushrooms and tomatoes!
4. How many hours per day would you say that you spend reading?
Hmmm, well, it depends. On days that I have class, I don't get much reading in. I would say that I average 3-4 hours per day. But, if you count reading blogs, facebook, etc, than you could up that to about 6 hours per day, lol.
5. Do you read more or less now, than say, 10 years ago?
Definitely more! WAY more. 10 years ago, I ran a home daycare with 5 toddlers and a preschooler for up to 12 hours per day. I don't think I read much at all then - I was too tired all the time! Now that my kids are school age and aren't so dependant on me, I have more time to spend with my nose in a book! :)
6. Do you consider yourself a speed reader?
No, I wish! I probably COULD be, but I am very easily distracted. Here's how it goes around here: read a few pages - Oh yeah, I really need to start a load of laundry! Read a few more - wait, did I write a check for the kids lunch accounts? Read a few more - oops, got to put dishes in the dishwasher. Read some more - oh yeah, I have an assignment due tonight. You get the idea.
7. If you could have any superpower, what would it be?
I wish that I could just snap my fingers and have the housework done! Then I could have more time to read!
8. Do you carry a book with you everywhere you go?
Mostly, yes. I don't when I go to work, because, well, I can't read at work. But, if my husband is driving us somewhere, I always read in the car (this drives him nuts!) And pretty much everywhere I expect to wait, I bring one.
9. What KIND of book?
Whatever I happen to be reading at the time.
10. How old were you when you got your first library card?
Oh goodness, let's see. Probably 8 or so? Maybe younger. My mom was so good about taking me to the library at LEAST once a week. And anytime I was sick, she would go and pick out some books for me. I was totally obsessed with the library (hm, go figure, huh?) Our city has 28 branches, and in the summer time, Mom would take me to different ones so that I could explore new collections. My mom is/was awesome!
11. What's the oldest book in your collection?
Well, if it's oldest as in years that I have owned it, I would have to say a picture book of The Night Before Christmas that I got when I was about 3 years old. It is on my son's shelf right now. If it's oldest as in publishing date, it would probably be one of my Newbery books - Hitty, Her First Hundred Years I think is my earliest one.
12. Do you read in bed?
Very, very rarely. I have chronic insomnia which I take nightly medication for. So, once I go to bed, I am generally out like a light. Every once in awhile I will wake up in the middle of the night unable to fall back asleep, and then I might bring my daughter's kindle to bed. But, this is very rare. I do most of my reading in my recliner.
13. Do you write in your books?
No way! Except the occasional textbook...
14. If you had one piece of advice for new readers, what would it be?
Give a book at least 3 chapters...sometimes it takes that long for a book to get interesting. I personally feel like I have to finish a book that I start, even if I don't like it (but that's my OCD). But, noone should FORCE themselves to read a book they don't really like. It might turn you off books altogether. There are SO many good books out there - so don't waste time reading something you despise. But, do try to give a book a few chapters to grab you before giving up on it.

So, that's a little bit about me and my reading habits. I would love to learn more about you! If you are a new follower, please post a link to your blog and I'll be happy to follow you back! And I'd love to see your answers!

3 comments:

Totally Booked Solid said...

http://totallybookedsolid.blogspot.com/2012/01/booking-through-thursday.html is mine . oh how I wish I could read in the car

Noll said...

I envy your ability to read in the car, I'd LOVE to! Also love your blog name, you an Athurian fan by any chance? I love all things Arthurian :)

Library Kary said...

I'll be perfectly honest - while my blog name was inspired by the book The Once and Future King - no, I'm not actually a huge Arthurian fan or even a fan of this particular book, lol. Read it in my sophomore year, and wasn't fond of it. I once worked for a library in my teen years, and am attending college to become a librarian and that is why I call myself The Once and Future Librarian - but I loved incorporating a literary reference...and I love that you "got" it! :) Thanks for the comment!

Post a Comment