CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Delirium by Lauren Oliver


Young Adult fiction: handful of instances of swearing, mild sexual references

"Ninety-five days, and then I'll be safe. I wonder whether the procedure will hurt. I want to get it over with. It's hard to be patient. It's hard not to be afraid while I'm still uncured, though so far the deliria hasn't touched me yet. Still, I worry. They say that in the old days, love drove people to madness. The deadliest of all deadly things: it kills you both when you have it, and when you don't.

They say that the cure for love will make me happy and safe forever. And I've always believed them. Until now. Now everything has changed. Now, I'd rather be infected with love for the tiniest sliver of a second than live a hundred years smothered by a lie."

The plot of this book was such an interesting idea. It takes place at a time in the future when love has been banned. The government has decided that love is a disease - amor delirium nervosa - and it is law that everyone is to be "cured" of it, by way of a removal of part of the brain, at the age of 18. If anyone is found to show signs of the "disease", they are subject to forced medical procedures, being thrown in the "Crypts" (think mental institution/jail), or even death.

Lena has always been obedient, and believed what she was told. She even looked forward to being cured. Until she met Alex. She then questions everything she has ever believed in. What follows is an action packed chain of events, that is left open for a possible sequel.

There were some parts of the book that kind of dragged, but it really picks up, and had me glued to the pages. I highly recommend it!

0 comments:

Post a Comment