CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, May 20, 2013

Monday Musings...How I Feel About Sequels


There are many different kinds of readers...and different reactions to sequels. Some people have to go out and buy the sequel to that beloved book the day that it's released and stay up all night to finish it. Then of course, they must pine away for another year or so until the next book releases. Other people won't even start a series until all the books are published so that they can devour them one right after another. What kind of sequel reader am I?

Well, I guess I'm a mixture of the two...if there is a series that I absolutely love (ahem, Shatter Me or The Selection, for example), I will likely clamor with the crowds to buy the sequel. But...then they languish on my shelves for a long time. Why? Well, this is something I wondered about as I look at all the sequels sitting on my shelf that I have yet to get to (I haven't even read Insurgent yet!!) I honestly believe that I have a fear of sequels. When I love a book sooooo much, I guess I'm afraid that the next book can't possibly be as good, and that I'll be disappointed. Or maybe I'm subconsciously savoring the anticipation, much like I do with gifts. I never tear into presents, but open them slowly, letting the anticipation build before revealing the mystery inside. I think this is how I am with my books too. Each story is a gift waiting to be opened. Some people like to tear into them, and some (like me) want to savor the anticipation before diving into it.

As I write this, I've decided to meet my fear of sequels head on, and open up the gift of Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi. And I can't wait to see what's inside!

What kind of sequel reader are you?

2 comments:

Elin said...

I'm probably a bit both. Sometimes I waiting until the entire series is out, so I can read all the books shortly after each other , and other times I can not wait to just have to read the first book, although I have to wait an eternity for the next book in the series.

Anonymous said...

I'm not a huge series/sequel fan. To me that's a big time commitment! That's probably why I rarely ever finish series.
If I do start a series, I generally prefer if all or most of the series is out. Even if I don't read it all right then, I like that I don't have to wait forever for the next book.

Post a Comment