CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Hunger by Jackie Morse Kessler



"Lisabeth Lewis has a black steed, a set of scales, and a new job: she's been appointed Famine. How will an anorexic seventeen-year-old girl from the suburbs fare as one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocolypse?


Traveling the world on her steed gives Lisa freedom from her troubles at home - her constant battle with hunger and the struggle to hide it from the people who care about her. But being Famine forces her to go places where hunger is a painful part of everyday life and to face the horrifying effects of her awesome new power. Can Lisa find a way to harness that power - and the courage to fight her own inner demon?


I first saw this book at Walmart, and it really, really intrigued me. A mesh of psychology, religion, and fantasy...sounded right up my alley! I obsessed over the series for awhile and after discovering that the library didn't have it yet, I decided to go ahead and buy them. Well, I was disappointed. I thought that the writing was odd - you know how some writers go a little overboard on descriptions? Yeah, that. Also, it seemed that 90% of the book was about Lisa's "normal", non-Apocolyptic life. It was like she just threw in a splash of the Apocolypse and Famine persona. I mean, that is what sold me on buying the book. I bought the second book in the series - Rage - so, I will give it a try after awhile. But, honestly, I wish I had saved the money.

0 comments:

Post a Comment