CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Reading With Class #3



Reading with Class is a weekly meme hosted by me, The Once and Future Librarian, where I discuss the books that I have been reading for my college classes.


In my YA Lit class, we read (in my case, re-read) The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. I NEVER reread books (there are just too many out there!), but I was excited to have the chance to reread my all time favorite book...it has been 18 months or so. Well, it was as good as the first time. I was reminded why it is my favorite book! Now I'm ready for the movie, and I have passed the book on to my almost 11 year old daughter who has requested to read it! Yay, someone new to talk about it with! :)


For my Materials for Children class, I read The House in the Night by Susan Marie Swanson to fulfill a Caldecott requirement. It's a very simple bedtime story (very much like Goodnight Moon) with simple, but beautiful illustrations. Great bedtime story for toddlers!


I also read The Memory Bank by Carolyn Coman to fulfill a modern fantasy requirement. It had just caught my eye at the library. It really reminded me of something Roald Dahl might write. In particular, it reminded me of Matilda. A little girl, Hope, whose parents don't seem to care about her, in fact don't seem to like kids at all. They abandon Hope's little sister Honey by the side of the road, and tell Hope just to forget about her. One night a man comes and takes Hope away - basically her memory bank has overdrawn (because all she ever does anymore is sleep), and she needs to get her account squared away. Hope encounters a whole new world where she is valued and wanted. And she discovers she may be on the right path to finding Honey. The story was neat, and it was chock full of beautiful illustrations. Great middle grade read!

Well, that is about all I read for school this week. It was a busy week for me so not a lot of reading got done :( Trying to fit more reading time in this week!

0 comments:

Post a Comment